What You Need in Order to File Entry on a Vessel

If you are bringing a private Marine vessel into the United States, you need certain documentation in order to file entry. This will occur when you first arrive at a U.S. point of entry. Read on to learn which documents you will need to present to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agent.

Upon arrival report to immigration

Immigration now has a Phone app to download called CBP ROAM. This allows you to report your arrival by smartphone and in some cases does not require  The crew and guests to physically show up at an immigration office for a face to face inspection. Many times the inspection can be done through the app using facetime with the CBP Agent.

Making Formal Entry 

If your vessel is foreign-flagged then the yacht must make a formal marine entry within 48hrs of arrival in the U.S. The form to make entry with is the CBP 1300 form entry/clearance form. Customs in most ports will require the passport information of crew or guests to be presented at this time as well. You will also need your original registration from the boat, and, if arriving from foreign, you will want to provide customs with a last port clearance or cruising license.  After you have filed the entry you will want to apply for a U.S. cruising license with the officer that cleared your yacht into the U.S.

How can I learn more about filing entry for my vessel?

At Howard S. Reeder, Inc., we have been helping yacht brokers and owners navigate customs and other documentation issues since 1940. Our family-owned business is eager to partner with you in all of your marine documentation challenges. Our friendly staff have all been in the customs brokerage and marine documentation for an average of 15 years or more, so you can rest assured that you are working with experts who understand the process from start to finish. Give us a call at (305) 371-8431 to learn more about how we can help you. We can’t wait to get started!

Howard S Reeder Inc